Thursday, March 8, 2012

Surgery Postponed

Well, yesterday was supossed to be the day we had River's first surgery and Latham device put in.  After much thought and research, Justin and I decided to put it off and get a second opinion.  We had been talking about going to Shriners Childrens Hospital since I was pregnant and we first found out about his cleft.  Shriners is known around the world for their work on clefts and they also pay for medical expenses that your insurance doesnt cover.  Having the Latham device put in was not our choice in the first place.  The plastic surgeon had the device made and surgery scheduled before we even had our first appointment and before she had even examined River.  This made me feel a bit like I was backed into a corner.  I wanted more options and the Latham device is not our only option.  After looking into the device further we discovered that it can restrict jaw growth and cause an under bite.  We have only heard wonderful things about Shriners and decided that we needed to go hear what they had to say before we make a final decision.  We see them March 13th and will make our treatment decision then.
 River is growing daily and we cant believe he is almost 2 months old already!  He is such a little sweetie!

1 comment:

  1. I hope the consultation with Shriner's went well, sending loving squeezes for all y'all.

    ReplyDelete